On to new challenges!Our new weighing station with own building will be completed and put into operation, a new ERP-System for order processing and a new financial system to go into operatio. And the administration building is being modernized.
... and ExtensionThe new hammer-hall and our exhibition space are put into operation.
Modernization ...The 1,000-ton oil-hydraulic underground-press is being modernized with new CNC control system and hydraulics.
Success propelled by innovationWe entered the new century and new millennium with a major expansion and modernization. The first "Ammerjazz Concert" on May 09, 2008 marked the inauguration of our new heat treating facility, expanded by 200% (2nd Section) (1st Section was completed in 2001). Also the quenching technique was changed from oil to polymer, and a new CNC (computer numerically controlled) flame cutting system with double water tables was purchased.
Success propelled by innovationNew annealing furnaces and a new CNC lathe for parts up to 6 m long were purchased. The control system for the presses was renewed and production capacity was expanded.
Success propelled by innovationAn additional forging furnace was purchased for 3-shift operation in conjunction with the 1,000 metric ton forging press.
Success propelled by innovationReinhard Schmidt, Dipl.-Ing., joins Augustfehn as Managing Director. The machining business is spun off into a new affiliated company, TurboMech GmbH & Co. KG.
Success propelled by innovationPurchase of a new hardening furnace. It has the same basic design but has extensive heat recovery
Success propelled by innovationA new heat treatment facility (1st Section) is constructed and put in service. This accommodates the larger pieces produced by larger capacity presses. It includes an annealing and tempering furnace, followed by two quenching tanks.
The company is restructured, to best prepare for a new phase in its growthThe old GmbH is reorganized as "Stahlwerk Augustfehn Schmiede GmbH & Co. KG", a limited partnership, in which "Stahlwerk Augustfehn Beteiligungs GmbH" is the general partner and the new "Stahlwerk Augustfehn GmbH" is the limited partner. The Benefits Association is liquidated, current claims for indemnity are converted, and all retiree pensions are re-funded separately.
Jubilee year, marking the 125th anniversary of the companyFor the 125th year Jubilee, the new sawing facility was dedicated, with an exhibit provided by local artists (painters). Speeches were given by: Dr. Alfred Tacke, the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Economics of the German state of Lower Saxony; Dieter Schlecht, President of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Oldenburg; and Dr. Dieter Schwirten, Chairman of the Board of the lignite miner Lausitzer Braunkohlen AG. The steam forge, which was something of a historic relic, had been overhauled with the help of former workers and students, and was ceremoniously charged with steam for the last time (before being converted to compressed air operation).
Entering the final years of the 20th centuryConstruction of a new sawing facility (1996). The first 3D-CAD system in North Germany (supplied by Unigraphics) greatly increases our design and fabrication capability, particularly in the manufacture of parts for excavator buckets and other finished parts. The heat treating facility receives another annealing furnace with a recirculating furnace atmosphere, which aids in maintaining accurate temperatures even in the lower temperature range (1995). 1993: An additional forging chamber furnace is added (1993). The 120 year Jubilee of the firm is celebrated (1992) with the start-up of a new press apparatus.
Stahlwerk Augustfehn moves into independence; is no longer a Krupp subsidiaryIn the context of a management buyout, Peter Finkernagel and his family purchases all of the relevant segments from the famous industrial company Krupp Industrietechnik. The supervisory board is dismissed, and a basic overhaul of the equipment is begun. The vintage water hydraulic press of 1914 is replaced by a 650 metric ton hydraulic press with a controllable plunger. The conventional machines in the tool shop are converted to CNC (1989-1990). The hammer forges are modernized (1989). The old bushing forge (1990-1991) is converted to a bolt forge, and is replaced by a new "free form" open-die forge with a 10 MN force under-floor press having a base extending down 9 meters into the ground water.
Solid business, with some years much better than othersThe company has its best year (1976) for revenues, DM 17.3 million (8.8 Mio. Euro). Earnings of DM 811,000 are passed on to the parent company, along with an annual group contribution of DM 300,000. In the following years, revenues decrease gradually to DM 10.7 million. Appreciable amounts of company-owned real estate are sold outright. 1981–1986: During this period, the Engineering Director is Manfred Bitterling. 1987: Dipl.-Ing. Peter Finkernagel becomes the sole Managing Director. Dr. Hans-Karl Roedel leaves the company.
Stahlwerk Augustfehn becomes a Krupp subsidiaryThe famous industrial company Krupp Industrietechnik acquires Stahlwerk Augustfehn AG along with another metals fabricator, Maschinenfabrik Buckau-Grevenbroich. The AG (share corporation) is converted back to a GmbH (limited liability company), and Krupp enters into a control agreement with the GmbH, under which the GmbH becomes a subsidiary of the Krupp group. In the following years no substantial investments are made.
New impulseDipl.-Ing. Werner Haring, previously the head of forging at the stainless steel fabricator "Deutsche Edelstahlwerke Krefeld", is appointed the new Engineering Director.
ConsolidationDr. Hans Karl Roedel (son of Johannes Roedel) is named Commercial Manager, and Hans Wittig Haller is named Engineering Manager. Haller rounds out the technical expansion phase of steam hammer forging with a new 50 metric ton hammer, and a freely movable Glama manipulator with a carrying capacity of 1.5 metric tons.
Rebuilding1954: Hans Wittig Haller, a highly accomplished forging engineer from the Hagen region, comes aboard. He supervises additional major investments and technical improvements, which along with his own reputation bolster the Company's reputation for quality. 1948: The company is made essentially a subsidiary of another metals fabricator, Buckau-Grevenbroich (of Buckau near Grevenbroich), which is part of the Neuss-based Wehrhahn group. The Managing Director is Johannes Roedel, of Magdeburg. An extensive program of investment is undertaken, to rebuild and technically modernize the facilities. New construction includes a new workshop, a bolt forge, a bucket manufacturing shop (for excavator buckets and the like), and a hammer forge. Beginning in 1948, marketing is almost exclusively through Wegusta GmbH, of Düsseldorf.
Stahlwerk Augustfehn AGThe company is re-converted to a share corporation (AG), and becomes a subsidiary of Buckau-Wolf AG of Magdeburg. Paul Alfred Müller becomes Managing Director; Ludwig Kellner remains as Chairman of the Advisory Board until 1941.
Stahlwerk Augustfehn AGOn Sep 07, 1903, the company is registered as a KG (limited partnership) in the Commercial Registry of Oldenburg. Substantial investments are made until the start of World War I.
Stahlwerk Augustfehn AGThe share corporation (AG) is converted to a limited liability company (GmbH). Ludwig Kellner, the Managing Director, expands the hammer forge. Production is focused principally on wear parts for cement mills and excavating machines (bolts, bushings, and excavator buckets).
Stahlwerk Augustfehn AGA Supervisory Board is named on Dec 20, 1884. Substantial investments are made. The workforce increases to around 80 individuals.
Schultze, Fimmen & Co.August Schultze and Johannes Fimmen found a steel mill, on Augustfehn Canal.